Where Did the Paperless Office Go?
Why Haven’t More Companies Made Paperless Progress?
Here we are, in 2016, and the Paperless Office topic is still key in many business owners minds. But why the lack of progress? In an AIIM Paper Wars study, there were some pretty amazing statistics:
- 44% of organizations cited they are only 10% of the way towards paper-free process
- 23% cite they have yet to achieve any progress towards the Paperless Office
- 17% are making progress of 5 or more processes per year
So why are we only inching our way towards the ultimate paperless goal? Checkout the chart below:
As you can see, there are a wide variety of barricades preventing progress, many of them are people/culture based. So how do you tackle these paperless blockades?
- First off, management support is absolutely critical, and it starts from the top down. If there is no commitment to your paperless office initiative at the executive level, it will fail.
- I cannot tell you how many times I have heard, “My staff just wont buy into that.” This quote is common place, and indicative of a broader cultural issue. Use of paperless technology is not optional once there is a commitment, and management needs to make that totally clear.
- Dispelling myths about legality and physical signatures can be a challenge, and there is a lot of misinformation out there. The fact is, electronic signatures have been utilized for many years now, and there is complete and total legal precedent for their use.
- The paperless landscape, and the technology available, can be quite overwhelming, and examining document capture/scanning software, digital/electronic forms products, workflow software and business process management software can be a daunting task. Having a great technology partner that can guide the way is critical.
- There are a wide variety of solutions, and cost is really no longer an issue. Paperless solutions have come down so far in price, that any size organization can get started today. Whether you want to print to PDF with an iSeries Forms solution, or create a digital workflow, there are affordable solutions in the market.
Want to learn more about paperless office strategy and products that can help you revolutionize the way you do business? Contact inForm Decisions today.